16 Dec Advent Series – Joy
Christmas is a season of joy. It is the time of year when we choose to believe that miracles are possible and that dreams can come true. In the Bible, we see this sense of hope and joy in the shepherds who were told of Jesus’ birth. We see it in the admiration of the wise men who went to see Jesus and to present Him with gifts. On the night of Jesus’ birth, even the skies lit up with the bright light of a single star that led to His birthplace. Yes, then and now, Jesus is the real reason for the season.
It’s been a tough year, but we are here. We made it! Regardless of what is going on around us, it is time to rejoice. Scripture says that we must rejoice in the Lord always (Philippians 4:4). It does not say to rejoice in the Lord when the economy is good or rejoice in the Lord when there is no sickness or death; it says rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS.
The Advent theme this week is joy. Take a moment to reflect on all that you have to be grateful for and to celebrate this week. Look for ways to fully experience and delight in the joys of this season. Below is a list of ideas to get you started. Feel free to share your ideas in the comments.
- Go find some holiday lights to look at. Many cities have dedicated holiday light events or you can drive around and admire the lights in your neighborhood.
- Watch some holiday movies. There are several new holiday movies and shows on Lifetime, Netflix and other channels and streaming sites.
- Read the Christmas story in the Bible or Fonda good Christmas book.
- Bake some holiday cookies (they are not just for Santa!)
- Play some Christmas music