12 Jul Taking Care of You: Tips for Self-Care
Stress is a very real threat to our health and overall well-being. In order to effectively take care of others and our many responsibilities, we must first prioritize taking care of ourselves. Below are 5 self-care tips to get you started.
1. Discover your inner child– What did you enjoy doing as a kid? Did you enjoying reading a book, dancing, roller-skating, drawing or riding a bike? Did you enjoy going to amusement parks, bowling or watching a good movie? Rediscover something that brings you joy and commit to doing it. Just because we are adults does not mean that we cannot have fun.
2. Take a vacation – Sometimes you just need to get away from it all. It does not matter if it is a family vacation, some time away with a significant other or a trip with friends – just go away! If at all possible, completely unplug.
3. Indulge – Go to the spa. Get a massage. Get a manicure and pedicure. Get your hair done. Do something that is strictly just for you.
4. Workout – Working out obviously has tremendous physical and psychological benefits. Find exercise options that interest you and keep you motivated. If group classes are not your thing, try personal training. Hate running? Maybe you prefer swimming laps. Bored with the treadmill? Try a spin class or kickboxing. Just get moving.
5. Be still – Take a few minutes each day to just be. Turn off the TV, the phone and the iPad and just be still. You can use this time for prayer or to meditate on a Scripture. You will be amazed by the inspiration you receive in times of silence.